Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Lesson Learned The Hard Way

For the past month or so, since coming back from NYC, I've been filming like mad. It's almost as if I've been trying to make up for lost time. Nah, scratch that. It wasn't lost time as much as it was suspended time.

Five guys in the can. Count 'em. Five. With me so far? Good.

In between filming sessions, full-time work, a live-in partner of almost 13 years, 3 dogs, 2 cats, my Mom's breast cancer issues which are still continuing, trying to keep a clean house and maintaining my sanity by having some down time and the occasional glass of wine, I've been editing.

Because of all the things of I've been doing, and because I'm trying to strike some kind of balance, the editing process of the first, almost complete DVD, "Stray Dawgz," has been taking longer than I would like. My computer, unfortunately, cannot manage the editing as it is an older, slower computer with an almost ancient microprocessor, despite the fact that the computer itself is probably only about 5 years old. Therefore, I've been using my partner's computer which, compared to mine, works at warp speed.

Each night that I get something done, no matter how little, I keep saying to myself, "This is great! I'll back it up tomorrow." Because after all, as Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."

It most certainly is. And you know what else tomorrow is? Too fucking late to back-up because, dig this, FILES BECOME CORRUPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So can I hear a loud, collective, "FUCK ME! GODDAMNIT! I'M FUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Weeks of work wasted because when I tried to back it all up today, either the file is too huge, there are damaged sectors on my external hard drive, or the iMovie file got corrupt. I don't which it is, but either way it would appear that I have to start from scratch because when I choked the omputer, I had to remove the external hard drive the old-fashioned; pulling the plug, which resulted in loss of data.

So, just as David from Home Town Guys once said to me, "NEVER STOP RECORDING!" I now say to myself and anyone else out there reading this blog, "NEVER FORGET TO BACK UP!!!!!"

I mean, seriously? I think it would have been far less painful to strap me up in a sling, grease me up with sand-filled lube, get a hold of one of those monster size, black rubber dildos, then use a sledge hammer to drive the fucker up my asshole until the tip popped out of my mouth.

A very valuable lesson learned in the loss of time.

No comments: